I embarked on my first Macro bug hunt in August this year on the 5th. I went in hope of finding some bugs at Blashford Lakes – which I had not visited for a while on a day of very changing conditions and strong wind. Fortunately it stayed dry, but the wind caused problems both approaching and getting shots in focus on my extreme macro lens setup ( Canon MPE-65mm lens).
I first go some luck finding this fairly large parasitic fly. The shot is a 1:1 for this one.
I took some other macro photos, but when reviewing them later they did not grab me, so it was fortunate that near the end I found this damselfly roosting on a leaf. If kindly allowed me to get up close, and even hold the leaf with it on with one hand. This enabled me to both control the wind effect and manipulate the angles of the photographs.
Here are my keepers of the obliging damselfly. All around 2x magnification.
In this last one the light hitting some vegetation – in my mind resembles something the damselfly is breathing out!
Equipment used – Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon MPE-65mm Lens with diffused flash lighting from Canon MT-24ex Twin Light.