Blashford Lakes blog had mentioned that their were some unusual weevils about at the reserve, and I had been looking for them for a while. Finding the first ( A Figwort Weevil – Cionus scrophulariae ) on said Figwort plant – was the key for me finally finding some of these wee weevils.
I have only found one of the Figwort weevils so far, and it was in a difficult position – but I did manage a 5 image stack in Photoshop CC (2015) before attempting to move the plant, causing the weevil to do its I’m dead trick and fall down. I notice that the stacking in the latest version has been improved. I will add a post on that soon.
However – having worked out what the plant looked like – I went examining more of them as I walked round. The weevils are well hidden being so small and fairly well camoflagued, but there were numerous close relations to the Figwort weevil – some Cionus hortulanus weevils.
Here are a selection of shots of them at various magnifications – taken with the MPE-65mm and 1.4x Teleconverter. The first which I have titled Yoda – as it reminded me of the sci-fi character at the time.
Camera used – Canon 760D.